
From the desk of Matt......
President
Newark Bulldogs Football Operations
Continuity has been a staple of what the Newark Bulldogs have done to try and be competitive year in and year out.
It’s under those same circumstances that the Bulldogs will follow with into the 2020 season.
With so many long time Bulldogs leaving following the heartbreaking Imperial bowl loss, new doors should open with new faces.....right?
Sort of.
| RETIREMENTS |
| Offseason | |
| Offseason | |
| Offseason | |
| Offseason | |
| Offseason | |
| Offseason |
Replacing them will be...
Fields – role was already being assumed by Alvin Gordon
Hanks – 6th yr vet and drafted Bulldog Sean Hitchcock will assume this role
Hennessy – role was already being assumed by Eric Sewick
Lantz – role was already being assumed by Stephen Brigham.
Marsh – 5th yr vet and drafted Bulldog Shane Brush will assume the role full time.
The key here is that all of these roles will be assumed by existing Bulldogs already in the system. The problem is that each of the current Bulldog starters are aging. The house is going to crumble at some point in the near future, however we will keep riding our guys until they’re gone.
The offense will remain unchanged for the most part. Losing Marsh hurts a little as I found that we had good success running the ball with him in there as opposed to Brush. I’m hoping another year together in our system will help us out there. All the usual suspects will be on offense, with the exception of newly acquired RB Darnell Castillo. I felt we got Castillo at a good value for us for a number of reasons. We are built to win now. Two or three years away isn’t going to help me today. Castillo is a solid stud RB. To be honest, I’ve been enquiring about Castillo’s availability for a number of years.....as in atleast 5. Pairing him with Jamison allows me to have an extreme comfort level should either of these guys get hurt. It also allows me to not have a dropoff between the 2. I’d love it if I could get both guys 1000yds and 10 TDs. I won’t be surprised if Castillo has more rushing TDs than Jamison this year. Jamison is the heart and soul of the offense. He’s the guy that made the impact matched with Burger and co. Once we got a reliable RB, we were poised for success. The odd man out in this situation is Brian Campbell. Campbell has been solid in his career thus far. His problem arose last year when he acquired a fumble problem. I felt I needed to do something this year to rectify that as I just didn’t trust him anymore. He’ll ride pine unless someone gets hurt, or I get blown away with a trade offer.
Our wideouts are a year older. Frank Togiai’s aging will impact us the most as he’s our “slot” guy. Mitchell Brown was brought in from Oakland to compete for a slot type receiver. He’ll need to beat out Togiai, 13 yr vet Jamie Williams, and 6th yr up and coming Jeremy Satre. Satre had a tremendous season last year. He caught 75% of the passes thrown to him for 490yds rec, 23.33 ypc, and 17.5YPT. Huge production from him. He may play a bigger role in the Bulldog offense this year. Our starters remain the same (Hoover and Lucas), and we expect Burger to throw the ball around to whomever is open. This includes 2 of the top TE’s in the IFL . No one dominant WR over the course of the year, but a more effective passing game all together. This system has worked for many seasons. Last season Burger led the league in YPC by over 2 yds from the next QB, and YPA by over 1.4yds from the next QB. Not too shabby for an old guy who was 24th in the league in attempts! He also led the league in QB rating.
Projected Starting offense
*indicates was drafted by Newark
|
The defense is where I was having the most problems dealing with age and retirements. The front 7 continue to age to the point where my starters are well onto the twilights of their respective careers. I’m hoping that the cohesiveness of the unit will help me out more than their talent. Zach Reed, last yrs 1st rnd pick, is the young brightspot in the front 7. He was amazing last season while backing up the longtime Bulldog vets. He racked up 6.5 sacks while gaining almost a 10% tackle %. That’s huge for DT. With Roman Troutman’s ratings taking a hit, I might just put Reed in there. I will just need to observe how much of a cohesion hit I will take. Stephen Brigham, the 6’8 300lb DE had sort of a breakout year last year starting all 16 games for us. Entering his 4th season we’re hoping that he can find a way to surpass 10 sacks. On the other side, our all time sack leader Chad Banks should continue to have some success rushing the passer while Steven Birney waits his turn for a full time gig here in Newark. 7 years and counting for this poor sap. Mack Edwards leads the LB’s. We don’t really have any dominant LB’s, so I’m hoping the cohesion of the unit helps out here. We’ll also likely play the LB’s strategically to their strengths. Depending on how things go, Eric Sewick could be starting over former DPOY Juilio Wheeler. Nicky Doyle is a beast. Last year DPOY top candidate was unstoppable. the question is now, who will play the other side? With Tito Wooden taking a ratings hit, and Alvin Gordon progressing I’m leaning on putting Gordon opposite Doyle. I drafted 2 safety’s hoping something might stick. I also brought in some FA’s with really only Mickey Bernstein being in my eye. Not sure what I’m gonna do with my FS position, but I think Craig Hampton gets this position despite his ratings. He did pick off 5 passes while being on the field for only 300ish pass plays. If he can give me 80% + pd % I will be happy.
All in all, I’m just “ok” with my defense. If I can upgrade something at the expense of a future pick, I probably would....within reason.
Projected Starting Defense
*indicates was drafted by Newark
| Years with team | ||||
| DE | Stephen Brigham | 4th | * | |
| DT | Dwayne Ayodele | 8th | * | |
| DT | Roman Troutman | 9th | * | |
| DE | Chad Banks | 11th | ||
| SLB | Julio Wheeler | 4th | ||
| MLB | Mack Edwards | 12th | * | |
| WLB | Drew Sullivan | 6th | * | |
| CB | Nicky Doyle | 2nd | ||
| CB | Alvin Gordon | 5th | * | |
| SS | Sean Hitchcock | 6th | * | |
| FS | Craig Hampton | 11th | * |

Comment