Columbia Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia Draft

After a nice run in the playoffs, the aging Fire began what appears to be a slow rebuilding/stay competitive process with their roster.

Gone are C Randy Thrash (FA), WR Ruben Bouie (Trade), RB Elijah Tucker (Trade), DE Jon Voz (FA)

At the time of this article the team had focused on resigning their pending FA's and focusing on the draft. The team did add 4 picks to this years draft including pick 1.28 in the Ruben Bouie trade.

With the focus on their own players the team went into this years draft with some high hopes. Recently the team has struggled to bring in the young talent via the draft (mostly due to the win now approach of the front office), so this year the team was hoping to rebound from those past draft failures.

With the deep run in the playoff the team began the draft with the 26th overall selection and had a total of 11 total picks in the draft

1.26 - RB - Ruben Schilz - Syracuse

Schilz will be taking over the role that was carried by Elijah Tucker who was traded during the offseason. He should fit in well as a change of pace back when Chad Creel needs to get some down time. The team feels that he has the chance of contributing this year and could push for more carries as time goes on.

1.28 - G - Erick Goddard - Louisiana - Lafayette

Goddard is a pick that is typical Fire management. And with recent needs at the OG position this move was to help build up the teams offensive line for next season

3.25 - MLB - Ernest Cook - UCLA

Cook brings youth to an aging LB corp. Look for him to team up with Vet ILB Mario Torgerson to learn the in's and out's of the IFL

3.26 - T - Dominique Swillis - Fresno State

Swillis adds depth to a relatively strong but aging outside lineman position. Swillis does have the ability to play all over the line so he could be a very valuable piece to a team that saw a lot of different line combinations last season

3.28 - CB - Caleb Howard - Arizona State

Howard will fill the roll as the teams nickel and dime corner behind Newman and Carlson. Hopefully he will add much needed youth to the teams secondary

4.19 - C - Irv Willis - Nebraska

Willis is another play being looked at for his potential future contributions to the organization. Willis will settle in behind Stargell for right now but could still push for playing time

5.9 - P - Levi Slade - Rice

Slade will slide into the teams punter spot for this season as the Fire continue to recycle the punter position with out agreeing long term to any one player in some time

5.25 - WR - Deron Wheeler - TCU

WR was a need for the Fire and Wheeler appears to be primed for special team work as a kick returner as well

6.25 - T - Will Poole - Iowa

There are some question marks on Poole but his versatility was key for the Fire. Will be interesting to see if he stays with the team after camp.

7.25 - TE - Antonio Sinclair - Nevada

Sinclair joins a TE staff that has struggled to make a name for themselves in the Fire's current offensive game plan. It will be interesting to see what role Sinclair will play but with multiple pending free agents he could have a shot at the starting position long term depending on how camp goes.

7.26 - FB - Jacob Dawson - Stanford

Dawson looks to be a key part of the Fire's growing ground game this season and should play a key role in years to come.
    Last edited by iceman99; 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM.
    GM Columbia Fire
    GM Georgia Generals
    GM Columbia Fire
    GM Norfolk Vipers

No pun intended, but you stole my thunder. Although, I thought about using you tube videos first. You were first, so imitation is the best form of flattery!

Comment

Lol yeah I have done these off and on for years... they are fun to do... imo
      GM Columbia Fire
      GM Georgia Generals
      GM Columbia Fire
      GM Norfolk Vipers

Comment

Always give Kudos to a guy who drafted a fellow Ragin Cajun! LOL

Comment

nice write up. I would say good luck..but I want another shot in the playoffs.
          West Virginia Beasts GM

Comment

Originally posted by PikeStance View Post
            No pun intended, but you stole my thunder. Although, I thought about using you tube videos first. You were first, so imitation is the best form of flattery!
            haha. ya.
            ICE has been doing these forever!!!
            NEWARK BULLDOGS WALL OF HONOR
            DE JUSTIN JONES
            LB DOMINGO PERSAUD
            TE THOMAS MACOMBER
            LT IRWIN KAO
            WR ANDREW ROBEY
            SS GREGORY BOYD
            RB ALAN CRESPO
            G MALCOLM "BIG KAT" SINGLETON
            WR WALTER WALKER